Wednesday, February 4, 2009

New Pedalboard

After many years of running around with my trusted old pedalboard I decided it was time for some changes. For any guitarist it is always evolving. Mine has changed a lot over the years. New gear, different sounds, different bands. With Sangre Mal, we are doing enough complicated stuff with samples and loopers, that it was time for an upgrade.

I looked around at buying one. But they are so expensive and wouldn't really cover all of my needs. Even the multi-tiered ones are too short, or the tier doesn't extend to the end of the board. Also I didn't want a lip that is found on many ATA cases since it makes it hard for me to hit my MIDI board with my boots on stage. So I went the DIY route. Maybe later I will build a better case for the board.

I used 1/2" plywood that I had leftover in my garage. Primed and painted black. No VELCRO. I find that it doesn't hold for crap and the industrial stuff defaces your pedals. Zip ties are a much better alternative. Maybe just a bit less flexible. They are also a bit of a pain to work with. I should have bought a zip tie gun.

No comments: