Friday, January 2, 2015

2014: Year in Review

It has been one hell of year.  Definitely seemed to fly by, but there was so much that was done.

Let's see, I got kicked out of my rental space.  Thankfully I was able to buy a house and move even deeper into being a home studio.  Big plans to build out though, we shall see what happens.

My band, Carrion Kind, finally finished our first full-length album that has been getting great reviews and decent sales.  We played a lot of shows this year, all local.  It is likely we overplayed, so I plan to dial that back a little bit.  Towards the end of the year, we finished writing our second album and began pre-production.  2015 will likely bring our second album.

On the studio front, I also finished up the first Yar EP and the first Salt for Knives EP.  This year also saw the release of the Savage Wizdom full length that we worked on in 2013.

This year for me has seen huge growth in live sound gigs.  My PA has grown considerably to handle it.  I think I am going to see a shift into that realm.  Most venues in Santa Fe do not have adequate PA systems or people to run them.   Even though the pricing is a race to the bottom at the level I am at, at least it isn't as bad as the studio market.  But wow the PA investment for performance is shockingly high.

I have also had the opportunity to make a lot of flyers and promote a lot of shows.  Way too many highlights to even list them all.  Some of the best shows I was so busy running sound, managing, and likely performing, they are mainly blurs of stress.

So... 2015 is looking bright!  I am working with Colossal Swan Dive now.  Been asked to join 2 additional bands.  Carrion Kind and Strangled by Strangulation has releases on the horizon.  My PA is in full force.  I might invest in column arrays for more challenging acoustic locations.  I think my stage monitoring system could use some love as well.

Bring it!

No comments: